Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nov 13 - Nov 21 1967



161 days, 13 Nov/67, Mon.

Hi,

I skipped yesterday accidentally, but no great loss – nothing at all. Today we also had the day off, but we spent it in the shade of a hedgerow near Trang Bang. We rode all the way in the truck & jeeps; on that road that’s quite a feat. We left the vehicles at a VN Ranger camp, and walked about a click or two to our objective, and waited for an hour while the ARVNs searched it. Than we went back. A long hard ride for nothing.

When I set up my gun, I saw a nice shady spot, and stepped into it. It was a little cave in the bushes, but as soon as I hit the leaves it, and all the shade, disappeared. The bushes, as high as my head, with leaves the size of my hands, were sensitivity plants, like the miniatures in Mom Singleton’s garden.

They are always abundant, covering the ground in some places, but these were the biggest I’ve seen. Can you imagine stepping into a large clump of bushes and having them all droop and fold up as soon as you touch them? I didn’t recognize the plants when I started into them, and it startled me at first when they folded up. I thought maybe I’d forgotten to use my Ban.

Tomorrow we got to Ho Bo woods. Heard of it? It’s pretty famous. A haven for VC (and hobos). The 2/27 and 1/27 have found several weapons caches there, and also have been shot up pretty bad in there at times. It’s a bad area from what I hear. We’ve never been there. Hope all we see is hobos.


 (optimistically, I date this ahead)
165 days, 14 Nov/67. Tues.

Prayer does work! For some reason, the Go Bo woods picnic was called off, and our day was leisure and relaxation. We are scheduled to go out tonight which is wonderful; you should see the huge black cloud that’s headed our way. It should be here about the time we leave. Guess I’ll play ball till 7:30.


166 days, 15 Nov/67, Wed (200 days left in country!)

The plan last night was for us to go to an ARVN compound and spend the night then at 4:00 that morning we were to walk about 4 clicks to our objective and then go back to Bao Trai. It poured solid for a half hour before we left, but let up while we drove to the compound, about 2/3 of the way to Duc Hoa. As soon as we got inside the building it opened up again. That’s called cooperation. We slept on a concrete floor, like sardines in a can, but at least we were dry. Really comfortable, if you like sleeping on concrete with 50 other bodies and 1,743, 795 mosquitoes.

We got up at four, and began our walk (moon was out by now). All went smoothly until we approached the hedgerow, which was our objective. We came upon a house about 200 meters outside the complex, and surprised 4 VC, who were asleep there. There were supposed to be 10 in the hedgerow – the 4 in the house were unexpected.

Two of them ran, but were cut down by a whole platoon’s fire power. All those tracers going to one spot. It was spectacular, but not too effective. Out of all those rounds, each VC was only hit once, but both were dead. The other two were captured along with all four weapons.

Shortly afterwards, we received about 10-15 rounds of fire from the hedgerow, which put every body buried in rice water, with rounds whizzing overhead. We fired back and it quit and we moved up only to get a couple more rounds. Then we stopped and called in white phosphorous rounds (flares) form the ARVN artillery behind our tent in Bao Trai.

The flares revealed nothing so the gunships were called and they raked the area with everything they had – mini-gun, ‘60s, M-74 grenades, and rockets. They didn’t kill anything but destroyed a couple houses and sank two sampans.

We checked the area but at daybreak, found only evidence of VC, and came back in. for a while we thought we had really tied into something big. I’m glad we didn’t. We captured the agent. After the shooting, he ran form the hedgerow and the ARVNs fired a couple of rounds near him. He yelled Chieu Hoi, and put up his hands. They tied him up and marched him back in with the other 2 prisoners.

The agents are actually with the VC. All the ARVNs know him and everything. If he’s our there they capture him in just about the same way they did today, just to make things look good.

We slept all day today. Tonight I recorded one side of a reel of tape. I bought a portable recorder for $10. The tapes can be sent free. The quality’s off and I don’t speak too well, but it’s different. I can record descriptions of my slides and you all can have talkies.

They were shooting artillery for awhile tonight, but even though I was outside, the tape didn’t pick it up; maybe I’ll get it tomorrow night when I do side two.


167 days, 16 Nov/67, Thurs.

Morning – sleep
Afternoon – relax
Evening – loaded on the trucks to go on a mission, but once again, at the last minute it was called off, and we were a reactionary force for the S-2 platoon until 11:00 (as reaction force we just act a s usual only if the S-2 run into something we would have to go out and help).

I recorded side two of the tape, and will send it tomorrow. My parents don’t have a player, so you’ll have to play it on yours. I forget if I mentioned this before – I recorded on the slowest speed (3 ¼ ips). I thing I mentioned this on the tape, but how would you know without playing the tape?


168 days, 17 Nov/67, Fri (last day on the machine gun!!!)

Yep, we went out today at 9:30 and stayed till about 3:00, out near Trang Bang again. When we got back in I handed my gun over to a really new guy (been in country 14 days). He said he wanted a machine gun! It almost sounds a shame to give such an important weapon to such a new man, but what was I when they gave me mine? He says
He’s had special training with it at Fort Polk, La. In AIT.

We had a man wounded today. Remember I mentioned how the gunners on the choppers rake the hedgerows with fire as they bring in troops? We were sweeping towards our scheduled PX (pick-up zone) as a load of ARVNs were being dropped near by on another mission. As the ships left, the gunships spotted us in the hedgerows along the river – a known hiding place for VC. Of course they had no way of knowing that we were friendly forces – all they saw was a group of people hidden in the trees. From about 800 feet it’s hard to tell; they’re not going to get any closer of if there is VC below, they’ll get shot out of the sky.

Well, they saw us and didn’t realize it was us, and as customary they let fly with their M-60s before we could give some kind of signal or get out into the open so they could see who we were.

Now I know how the VC feel when they see the gunships come. I swear, it rains lead. Trees and twigs crumble – I don’t see how they only hit one man in the leg (didn’t break the skin, just cracked the shin bone). I mean, I’ve had bullets go by me pretty close, but . . .  And there was no place to hide from these; they were coming from the air. What an awesome sight to se those big insects bearing down on you – no place to hide – shooting aerial M-60s. I was smothered with twigs from the trees, but somehow wasn’t hit.

Lt. Straub quickly made radio contact and threw a smoke grenade to mark our position, and prevented a second pass over by the choppers, which no doubt would have been with mini-guns (two on each of two ships – each gun 6,000 rounds per minute!!) and M-79s and rockets. We could have been wiped out!

We couldn’t fire back at them or they really would have laid it on; we couldn’t run out into the open – that’s really a give-away – I’ve seen the ships swoop down on running VC to within about 3 feet of them and cut them down with the mini-gun (one time I saw them hit one with the skid underneath the ship, moving at about 50 mph). The best thing we could do is just lay low and throw smoke and hope they go away.

If we’d been clearly in the open, right at first, they never would have fired, but they have strict orders to shoot without question anything the least suspicious in an area where they drop troops – that’s the way it has to be and a chance we always take whenever we’re out.

I think I’ll carry an American flag out next time, and wave it at every chopper that goes over. I don’t see how the VC can stand against one of those gunships – it was like a nightmare; and they didn’t use their big stuff.

Send a flag,
Bob


169 days, 18 Nov/67, Sat.

Hi,

It was cold this morning (about 75-9=80) and I slept nearly till noon.  This afternoon I taught some of the guys how to play euchre, and we spent the afternoon playing cards. Lt. Straub bought a refrigerator and stocked it with beer and soda, so now we have cold drinks all day instead of having to wait for the club to open.

Another new man – a mechanic. He brought with him a stereo tape recorder and a TV. I guess we’re all set for entertainment in the green hutch. 


170 days, 14 Nov/67, Sun.

Helped chop down bamboo and palm trees, clearing land for a new ARVN compound. We were “volunteers” to show our “interest in the ARVNs and to shoe our goodwill and to help the people of S. Vietnam”. We’re literally fighting their war for them,, what else do they want?

I had a very educational evening. There was a play in Bao Trai which everyone in the compound was allowed to go to, and stay past the 9:00 p.m. curfew.

I don’t really know what it was about – it was a comedy (everybody laughed) being all in Vietnamese. I never saw a place so packed with people – literally on the rafters of the building. Something like this must happen only once a year, the way they were jammed in. I had to hold tow little kids on my lap all night.

It was, I guess, a typical oriental play, with the plink-plunk music, and Samurai warriors, ogres, princesses, and heroes. The acting was quite good, even though I couldn’t understand the dialogue. It was really interesting and quite professional in backgrounds, sound effects, lighting, etc.

I’ll never forgive myself for not bringing the camera and the electronic flash, which I could have borrowed. I thought we were going to a party. Instead it turned out to be this play; had I known it was a play, I would have taken the camera for sure. I missed many colorful (beautiful) costumes, and once-in-a-lifetime pictures.


171 days, 20 Nov/67, Mon.

I borrowed a set of civies to go to the “party” last night, and it felt so good to wear decent clothes for a the first time in nearly – 12 days short of – six months, that I went ahead and bought the whole deal for $8. Really nice; a perma-press shirt, a pair of perma-press pants, a perma-press belt, and a pair of perma-press tennis shoes (low cut). They feel so good.

That’s the only thing exciting that happened today.


172 days, 21 Nov/67, Tues.

Remember a few days ago, when the guy got hit by the gunships? The bullet, although it knocked him down, didn’t break the skin, but it did break the ankle bone. He goes to Japan for 4 months of recuperation, and then he goes home!!!! He’s only been in country 33 days, as of today, and only been on 4 CRIP missions. Friends and neighbors, that’s what we in war call a million dollar wound!

Bad news today. CRIP moves to Trang Bang “permanently” next Tuesday. It’ll be the same people, the same operation, and the same mission as before, just a different base camp.

Why bad news? Let me cont the ways. 1) We’ll live in tents at first, then maybe build hutches later. 2) We’ll be living in field conditions – sandbags and mud. 3) No water for showers, etc., no electricity, no shade – we’ll be out in the open. 4) No club, TV, or movies, or basketball. 5) Food will come from the US Artillery compound nearby. No more steaks, or waiters in the mess hall. 6) For a week or so, we’ll be doing nothing but filling sandbags and other hard work.

Those are the changes in living conditions – the serious problem.  The big objection is the area surrounding Trang Bang. It’s full of VC. All the outposts, etc., get mortared almost regularly. Mines blow up, people get shot; it’s a dangerous place.

They say we’ve pacified the Bao Trai area, so there is no need for us anymore – time to move. Well, I say when I can’t sit on our bunker line and watch – and even record a taped letter – because Cu Chi base camp gets 120 rounds of mortar fire, the are is not pacified. Even if it is, when we move, they’ll come right back (the VC) and we’ll have to come to the Bao Trai area from Trang Bang, just as we do the opposite now.

Why move fro a safe, comfortable place to a place we could easily commute to before, especially when we’ll be subjected to mortar and ground attack (they’re going to have the 106s, and the two .50 caliber machine guns on our perimeter, plus maybe a couple of 81 mm mortar tubes). We’re nearly guaranteed contact on our missions.

We’re supposed to go fro a week trial, then if it doesn’t work . . .  who knows? Bao Trai again? I hope. It all depends on the ARVNs. If they want to stay, we stay. If they don’t lie it (their families are all in Bao Trai) we’ll move again.

Oh, well, more later, as I find out more. But it does bother me considerably.

Slightly nervous,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment